Welcome To Our Blog!

We are pleased to announce our first baby will be brought into this world around October 28, 2011! This is my first attempt at making a blog, so please bear with me through the process. This seemed like the perfect place to document it all, so here goes nothing!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Second Dr. Appointment (almost 13 weeks)

We had our 2nd doctor's appointment today.  I am 12 weeks and 5 days, so I am nearing the end of the first trimester. The way the doctor described it to me, instead of just 12 weeks in a trimester there are really 13ish depending on how many days there are in a month, etc. And you will still hear that the first trimester is anywhere from 12-14 weeks, so there is no one consensus.  Anyhow, everything looks great at this point and right on target!! We started the appointment trying to hear the heartbeat with the doppler, but he (my regular doctor, who is a female, was called away at the last minute for a delivery) could not find it so he pulled out the ultrasound machine. It was great because we got to visualize the baby and the heart beat again, and we got to measure the crown to rump length as well as the actual heart rate.  The baby has almost tripled in size since our last appointment.  It is now almost 6cm long, and the heart rate has slowed to 156 bpm. After he located the baby on the ultrasound machine, he was able to go back and find the baby with the doppler and we were able to hear the heart beat! It was a really cool experience. He had me put my finger on my neck to measure how much slower my heart rate is compared to the baby's. He is a very nice and knowledgeable doctor and did a great job of answering our questions. It was great to meet him because there is a chance he could deliver the baby if our doctor cannot make it. 

He reviewed all my labs from the last appointment, and everything looks good. I am off to a healthy start which is great news! I also have gained almost 2 lbs since the last appointment, which is pretty typical as well. Most women gain 0-5 lbs in the first trimester, so I am right in the middle. I will be heading back for a 3rd appointment in another month.  Here is a picture from today's ultrasound:

Aaron and I are heading to Glenwood Springs for a night this weekend. We are very excited for a night out of town as well as to check out the area. We have heard great things! Our friend is watching Kota for the night which is a nice treat as well. She will have a great time playing with their dog, and it will be a nice break for us (although we love you Kota you just are pretty high maintenance at times)! I do not know if we will actually be able to take a long "babymoon" so we are hoping to do a series of weekend trips around the Colorado area instead. There are so many places we want to check out! We will definitely take lots of pictures and I will post them when we get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment